Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fish Stock

Today I decided to make a fish stock with the intention of using it next weekend to experiment with my third mother sauce, Velouté.  The plan is to make Filet de Poissons Pochés au Vin Blanc, which is basically sole fillets poached in white wine served with a fish-stock based Velouté.  Everything sounds so spectacular when you say it in French!

Fish stocks are easy to prepare and take only 30 minutes to make, unlike chicken or beef stocks which require hours.  Just be forewarned that no matter how fresh the fish or fish bones you are using to make the stock is, an aroma of finny friends will permeate your abode, so make it on a day when you can open the windows and aren't expecting company!

I used fish trimmings to make my stock, but if not available you can substitute a few inexpensive fillets or even clam juice (according to Julia!).  I went for halibut underbelly, as I just could not bring myself to purchase fish heads as I really do have an issue with my food looking back at me.  Can't do the eyeball thing at all.

Fish Stock (Makes 4 cups)

1.5 pounds fish trimmings (bones, skin and heads are all ok)
2/3 cup thinly sliced onions
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 bay leaf
10-12 parsley stems
1/2 teaspoon salt 

Break down your fish so that it all fits in the pot. Peel and chop carrot and onion.








Place fish and all other ingredients in a large stock pot.  If using fish trimmings, add just enough water to cover ingredients.  

Simmer ingredients uncovered for 30 minutes.  

Remove any foam that forms on the top of the stock.  


When cooked, pour stock through a fine-meshed sieve to separate stock from bones and vegetables, and then run through a piece of cheese cloth to remove any residue.  

Fish stock may be refrigerated for 1 day or frozen for a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment