Monday, February 21, 2011

Rosemary Lamb with Herbed Yogurt Sauce and Panzanella Salad

 This is a recipe based on the Greek Lamb with Yogurt Mint Sauce from Ina Garten's lastest book Barefoot Contessa: How Easy is That?.  I had to make a number of substitutions thanks to a very amnesic visit to the grocery store yesterday without my list!  Grr.  Anyway, as usual, I have managed to survive the substitutions and turn out a delicious Family Day family-style dinner.



Rosemary Lamb (Serves 4)

For Lamb:

2 racks of lamb, frenched and cut into chops
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
4 sprigs rosemary, sheared and chopped
1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
Juice and zest of two lemons
1.5 cups olive oil
1.5 cups dry white wine

Combine all ingredients in a large glass pan. Nestle the lamb chops in the marinade and be sure to rub on both sides.  Marinade in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, and longer if possible, turning half way through.

When ready to cook, pre-heat your grill on high heat.  Grill chops for 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare.

Serve with:

Herbed Yogurt Sauce
Panzanella Salad

Cook's Note on Substitutions:  The original recipe called for the use of red wine but - as amazed by this fact as I am - I had no red wine in the house and today is a holiday so the LCBO is not even open!  Hence, I substituted a dry white wine from Portugal that we had in the fridge.

Also, the Herbed Yogurt Sauce was originally called Yogurt Mint Sauce but guess what I forgot to mint at the grocery store...duh!  Anyway, I had fresh dill and arugula in the house so that is what I used.  Nothing beasts fresh mint, and I do have some fresh mint chutney in the fridge that I get at VJ`s Supermarket in Little India, which I think might add an interesting dimension to the sauce with a different lamb marinade.  Next time!

I think these would be fun at a party as a passed appetizer and the frenched lamb bone almosts acts as a perfect utensil for eating.  I'd call them "lamb lollipops" and offer them to people with the opportunity to dip into the sauce in a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment