Friday, April 22, 2011

Deviled Eggs with Green Onion Oil - Yum Yum too!

The second type of deviled eggs I am making involves green onions, garlic, ginger and canola oil.  I wasn't sure about this concept when I started but, hell, I am sold now.

Green onion oil is central to David Chang`s Momofuku cooking, as he uses it in many dishes like a finishing sauce.  My fellow blogger over at Momofukufor2 has come up with her own version of the oil which she likes better than Chan`s.  I found her recipe so intriguing that I had to try it myself; however, I found I needed to eliminate the sesame oil from her recipe because it overpowered the more subtle tastes of the green onion and ginger on my first test run.   I also messed around a bit with her proportions - I added more ginger and, well, more of everything, and all I can say about the end result is WOW!

By the way, David Chang announced last month that he will be opening not one but two restaurants in Toronto, the genesis of which was apparently inspired by a drunken weekend in my fair city.  Works for me!  2 Chang restos = 2 times the good food.  And I am tired of Italian inspired after Italian inspired restaurant opening here....and I am not into the `nose to tail` or burger themes in the city, so we need something new!  Welcome Momofuku!  The only restaurant opening that has recently caught my attention is Lynn Crawford`s Ruby Watchco on Queen East.  It is great and I cannot wait for my second visit for my birthday next month (Yes I am a Taurus, and that does explain a lot, I know!)

How to boil eggs à la Martha:

As I have said before I subscribe to the slow cooking of hard boiled eggs method preached by the Domestic Goddess Martha. Listen to Martha's gospel regarding the hard boiling of eggs:

To hard boil eggs, place large eggs in a single layer in a medium sized sauce pan and cover with cold water by 1 inch.  Add 2 teaspoons white vinegar to the water.  This will help bind the egg white.  Bring to a boil over high heat, cover and then immediately remove from heat.  Let sit for 12 minutes, then using a slotted spoon remove eggs from cooking water and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking.  Let cool for at least 5 minutes before using.

Green Onion Oil Devilled Eggs 

6 hard boiled eggs, peeled, chilled and cut in half
1 bunch of green onions, very thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves of garlic, minced very finely
2 tablespoons ginger root, finely chopped
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp salt


Directions:

Hard boil the eggs.  Peel eggs by cracking shells gently on a cutting board and removing the shell.  Cut your eggs in half and remove the yolks from the eggs and place in a separate bowl.  Mash yolks with a fork until crumbly.  Set the whites aside until you are ready to fill them.

Make the green onion oil by heating up the canola oil in a small pot over high heat. When the oil is shimmery and hot, add the green onions, garlic, shallot, and ginger. Remove the pot from the heat. Salt to taste.

Add 2 tablespoons of the green onion oil and mix. Stir and taste.  Slowly add more green onion oil a teaspoon at a time until the desired texture is reached.  I used all of the oil and green onion mixture.

Spoon a heaping teaspoonful of egg filling into each half egg white.  Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds if desired.

Eat and enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. Sandra, I love your themed postings. I remember the hummus study you did a while back, and now you're onto one of my very favorite things: deviled eggs. This is such a great way not just to show a recipe, but to explore it in a larger context. Thank you for what you post!

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both kinds went over extremely well at my sister-in-law's yesterday, especially the bacon-kimchi. I didn't expect that but was happy they were loved. And eaten.

    ReplyDelete