Monday, May 16, 2011

Corn Relish - Just for Fun

I gave my love a cherry without a stone
I gave my love a chicken, without a bone
I gave my love a ring, without an end
I gave my love a baby, with no cryin'..errr....some corn relish.....

Well I definitely wish that last part was true! I guess our kids were never real criers - although I swear there are more tears now (mostly from the 15 year old sitting on the 10 year old's head) than when they were younger. Sibling rivalry - something I will just never completely understand as an only child.

So, since I couldn't give my love a teen and tween with no cryin', what I gave him for our anniversary is Corn Relish. I know...that might sound a bit lame but we've been married a long time. We can each buy ourselves whatever we want. Gifts are nice, but gestures mean more. So I hope he likes it. He was saying yesterday how much he loved corn relish when he was younger and used to put it on sausages, hotdogs, and hamburgers but that he hadn't had any in ages.

Well, strangely enough I had picked up corn from the store on Saturday to make a dish that never got made so I had everything I needed to make it except celery seed which was easily acquired. I've been messing around with the concept of pickling lately and reading a bit in this area, so here it goes! My first attempt!  I am sure there will be many more to follow.

Sandra's Corn Relish

6 ears corn, husked and cleaned
3 tomatoes, seeded, and diced
1/2 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red onion onion, chopped
1-2 jalapeño peppers, chopped and seeded (if you are a wimp)

3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons fresh basil, in chiffonade

Directions:

Holding the cob of corn upright, run your knife down the cob to cut the kernels from the cobs. Scrape the cobs with a large spoon to remove remaining juices.

In a large saucepan, mix the corn kernels and juice, tomatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, jalapeño and onion. In a medium bowl, whisk the sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt, celery seed, turmeric and mustard seed. Pour into the saucepan over vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil, then simmer 20 minutes. Transfer the finished relish to sterile jars and seal. Refrigerate until serving.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Hope there's some left for camping !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh there will be more. It tastes awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to try it !

    ReplyDelete