Saturday, May 14, 2011

Waste Not Issue #4: Basil

This series of posts was inspired by the fact that I needed to get some fresh basil to make a basic tomato sauce. Whenever possible, I always use fresh basil in my recipes, especially pasta sauce.  It was something I read or saw with Mario Batali years ago that just stuck with me - in sauce dried oregano is best but always, always fresh basil.  I like to stick with Mario on that if I can.  And in this day and age of hydroponics and greenhouses in winter what not, you can almost always find decent fresh basil around.

Well Sunday I went to Longo's in search of fennel sausage.  I have literally been all over the St. Lawrence Market and elsewhere trying to find someone who makes it, when I read that Longo's store made brand was very good. A 20 minute drive later, I had it in my possession and the biggest, bunch of basil you could ever get for $2.49.  This is the kind of basil you expect in the peak of summer for that price.  So I bought it thinking "What could I do with it?"

The resulting post are a few ideas for using up a big bunch of basil.

Round 1 - Basic Tomato Sauce

It was the reason for my trip in the first place and one of the most versatile Mother sauces.





Round 2 - Basil Pistou

This Basil Pistou (or Pesto) is super simple and makes a great condiment.  You can use it to dress pasta, or you can drop a spoonful of it into a nice soup (like a Cream of Mushroom or Tomato) and the fresh flavours just bring it alive.

You could spread it on crostini and top with cheese and Oven Dried Tomatoes.  You could use it on a sandwich in place of mayonnaise (that was a very popular wrap today for my kids I tell you!).

The list goes on and on and is only limited by your imagination and creativity.

Round 3 - Basil Oil

I have always been envious of the cute little dots of sauces that chefs make on your plates as they are creating your dish to come out to you, so I thought why not make my own Basil Oil.  This one also has some garlic and a bit of preserved lemon to it. You really should make the preserved lemons.  So useful and takes barely minutes.


Other Ideas:


Caprese Salad:   One of my favourite summer salads and so simple.  This is on our round of camping menus and people are amazed we eat so well when camping, but really it is only a few ingredients, best when tomatoes and basil are at their peak in the summer.

Take a ball or 2 of fresh mozzarella, slice in rounds.  Take 2 or 3 tomatoes, slice them into rounds.  On a plate, lay out both alternating cheese, tomato, cheese, tomato.  Drizzle a small amount of basil oil (or regular olive oil) over the salad and a small amount of balsamic vinegar.  Sprinkle with a small amount of salt and pepper and some shredded basil.  Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment