Friday, December 3, 2010

'80s Nirvana and Indian Spiced Cauliflower Spread

Wow!!! 1st Wave on Sirius radio is killing it this morning!  Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone, INXS - Suicide Blonde, David Bowie - Rebel Rebel, Simple Minds - All The Things She Said, Flock of Seagulls - Wishing, The Cure - In Between Days, Elvis Costello, XTC, Squeeze....it goes on. Definitely need some Talking Heads (oh...just got some), Clash (ok...London Calling now...excellent), maybe a little Rebel Yell from Bill-eh Idol. '80s nirvana! Hey...now some Nirvana would also be great but that is a different radio channel.  Wish I could stream for 'ya!  I like their handle of being "classic alternative".  It's just the music of my high school and university days to me.  So many great concerts, memories and friends.

Wow again - now its Ready, Steady, Go from Generation X! Well that is Billy Idol so I kind of got my wish. Apparently Bill-eh is currently working on his biography. That would be a pretty interesting tale. Speaking of which, I watched The Runaways yesterday afternoon. Holy cow! Kudos to Dakota Fanning! She is amazing as Cherie Currie. And Kirsten Stewart - who knew she could actually act and not just stand around looking wistful, longing for Edward. Not a film to watch with the kiddies, but such an intense portrait of the drug influenced rock culture of the 70s, and full of Bowie and Iggy tunes and great, gritty performances.

Anyway....1st Wave is perfect cooking music for me. Back to the business of cooking.....

This one is courtesy of my fellow food enthused friend Anth (I really don't like the term "food obsessed" so I've opted for the much less psychotic and stalkerish sounding "food enthused"). I've never gotten recipes from Oprah's website before, but I may have to change my mind after trying Diane Morgan's twists on traditionally fatty dips. I was looking for another vegetable based crostini recipe to accompany the Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage ones that I will make tomorrow.  And I bet this will be good also if I melted blue cheese on top.  Everything really is better with blue cheese.

Check these out! Smokey Black Bean Dip, Blood Orange and Avocado Salsa with Pomegranate Seeds, Amber Ale Cheddar Cheese Spread and this beauty.....

Just because I can't NOT alter a recipe, I am going to roast the cauliflower rather than steam it, and add in a teaspoon of cumin seeds for added oomph.  I've also decreased the amount of yogurt called for to 1/2 cup because I found that even with that amount, the yogurt taste was becoming a bit dominant over the subtle spice the recipe calls for.  I will serve this either on toasted mini-pitas or if I can find the papadum chips like we get in Little India.

Indian-Spiced Cauliflower Spread


1 head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), broken into small florets
1 3/4 tsp. coarse salt , divided
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. canola or grapeseed oil
1 tsp. black mustard seeds 
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 medium yellow onion , finely diced
2  tsp. curry powder 
1/4 tsp. fresh ginger or ginger puree
1/2 tsp. fresh green chili chutney (added as much for flavour as for a bit of heat)
1 tsp. agave nectar (thanks again Gwenie and GOOP!)
1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Toss cauliflower and onion with 1/4 teaspoon salt and oil. Cook uncovered until cauliflower is soft and browing, about 40 minutes.

In a small sauté pan over medium heat, warm oil and coat pan. Add mustard and cumin seeds, cover, and cook until seeds stop popping, about 30 seconds. Add curry powder, cumin, ginger, and agave nectar, and cook until fragrant.

In a food processor, combine about half the cauliflower with the yogurt and spice mix.  Puree until smooth. Mash remaining cauliflower (you want to retain some texture and not have it completely smooth) and add to food processor and pulse to combine until desired texture is reached.  Spoon in a bowl and fold in chopped cilantro.  

I will serve this warm a top toasted mini-pita breads or naan bread which I will cut up into squares.  Pictures to be added after tomorrow.



3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. What wine would you recommend with that ? Vinho verde ?

    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer is the most common beverage to enjoy with Indian (like Kingfisher - nice and skunky) but I always really enjoy a Spanish Rosado with Indian. I am not a huge fan of Vinho Verde. If I go white with Indian, amazingly I usually go Alsatian with wine - a Pinot Gris, Riesling or Gewürztraminer. If I go red, then Pinot Noir is nice. Maybe we need to experiment tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! Can't wait to try it. I'll see if I can find you some Papadum chips when I get the samosas.

    ReplyDelete