Sunday, December 26, 2010

Asparagus and Leek Soup with Lemon and Dill

I hope everyone had a most excellent Christmas.  And if you don't celebrate Christmas, I hope you had a good weekend!  Despite my terrible knee injury resulting in lack of gym time, I made it through most of December relatively unscathed by all the trays of cookies, left overs from get-togethers, lunches, dinners and cocktails that are often associated with the holiday season.  That was until last week... more lunches, more dinners, beers, vodka shots and pickles at Pravda (ouch the next day!), fish feast on Christmas Eve, and turkey dinner with the family yesterday.

So I decided today I would officially end my holiday excess and try to get back on the healthy wagon.  That and the fact that the Boxing Day fairy brought us a brand- spanking new 8 piece set of 18/10 stainless steel pots from Curtis Stone's collection, so I was itching to make something in them.

Whatever happened to Curtis and his show "Take Home Chef?"  I kept hoping that one day he'd walk up to me in a grocery store and offer for me to take him home.  No woman in their right mind could turn down that kind of offer!  Sadly I don't think they ever filmed THC episodes in Toronto, so I have to make do with his beautiful pots, luscious 2-sided flippable bamboo cuttingboard (Hmmm technically aren't all cutting boards flippable? Damn - not only is he good looking he is smart and made me need something I already had) and my shining spoon rest that looks rather like a stainless-steel high heeled shoe.

But I digress....as usual....today Om is watching what seems like an endless stream of football.  At least football mercifully ends in January (doesn't it?) unlike hockey in Canada with actually runs from September to June!  I just don't get that, but anyway....as I said Om is watching football so I am at the computer and in the fridge looking for something to make.  A full fridge gives me lots of options but I am also thinking detox!  So I go for asparagus and leeks.

Asparagus is very high in folate, which is essential to a healthy cardiovascular system.  It is also a good source of potassium and is a natural diuretic, so it is good to treat that bloated, post-holiday feeling.  And it makes your pee smell funny, a fact which my kids find endlessly entertaining.  Leeks also have diuretic properties along with a few other qualities to help food "move along" through your digestive system.

Asparagus and Leek Soup with Lemon and Dill

1 really big leek, white and pale green part only, washed very well
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock
1/4 piece preserved lemon, pulp and skin, finely chopped (you could throw in a tablespoon of zest instead)
2 tbsp. fresh dill, chopped (more if you like it)
1/2 cup low fat or fat free sour cream

Slice leek in half and run under cold water to ensure you remove all the dirt that might accumulate in the tops of the leeks, otherwise you might end up with a gritty soup.  Slice the leek thinly into strips (half rounds really).

In a beautiful new Curtis Stone saucepan add the butter and cook the leeks over medium heat, stirring, until softened.  Add the asparagus, the broth, and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the asparagus is very tender.  Reserve some of the asparagus tips for serving.  Purée the mixture in a blender until it is very smooth, whisk in the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. Warm the soup over moderately low heat until it is heated through, but do not let it boil.


To serve, top with more dill, asparagus tips and maybe a large goat cheese topped crouton, and serve.





1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous of your new Curtis Stone cookware! Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete