Monday, March 7, 2011

Back from Vacation!

I am back from a fantastic week on a cruise with my family.  I wasn't really sure what to expect on a cruise since I had never done one before.  Basically, it is like an all-inclusive resort on the water.  With a lot of old people.  And apparently most of them don't have any peripheral vision.  Or patience.   I don't think I have seen that many walkers, canes or little driver cart things ever.

The food was fine, and sometimes really good, but what impressed me most was the scale of the entire operation.  Most of the food is cooked in a central kitchen and then sent out to the various satellite restaurants for service.  Cooking for 3,000 every evening is a daunting task and the staff at NCL were incredible.  Kudos to them.  It was always consistent and tasty, and really what just got to me sometimes was other guests.  We ended up avoiding the buffet all but 2 nights, mostly so I didn't end up in prison with a murder rap on my hands - I definitely could have taken out a walker or two.  Just avenging Justin because they almost took out my 10 yr old with their dinner plates!

The head chef on the boat was East Indian, which meant we had the most amazing Indian food on the buffet every day.  Glen ate curried goat, I had chickpea curries with cauliflower - all as good as in the best Indian restaurants I have eaten in.  Then the next day we'd eat in a Bistro and dine on duck confit (my death row meal) and duck breast.  One night decent Italian.  Another very weird Tex Mex tapas.  Quite a variety.

However if I hear anyone say "Washy washy, happy happy, smiley smiley." again, I WILL take them out.  But I understand the need on a boat with so many people to maintain sanitary conditions.

The best thing I ate on my trip - and definitely one of the best things I have EVER eaten - was a Pulpo Tostada in Cozumel.  Pulpo is octopus and my kids laughed when I ordered it - until they ate it - then they wanted their own.  It was beautiful thinly sliced, lightly boiled octopus on a tostada covered in a light layer of refried beans, avocado and the most amazing lime-flavoured coleslaw I have ever eaten.  Incredible.  I can still taste it in my mind.  I must make it!!!

Once I get organized I`ll get back to writing!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a dream! Welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were any of those old folks wearing Speedos ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toronto Bites reveals herself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankfully none of the wrinklies wore banana hammocks. That would have just been nasty! And it wouldn't have been as much fun to make light of without "the blonde" being there with "the red head".

    ReplyDelete