Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oven-dried Cherry Tomatoes

For some strange reason I seem to have 3 very large containers of cherry tomatoes in my refrigerator.  I will keep the newest container for lovely salads during the week, but I need to make use of the other two before they start to turn.  One idea I came across a while back - though I can't find the original source this morning - is oven dried tomatoes.  So I looked around a little and came across some extremely easy instructions on Martha Stewart.  And it is a mind and taste-bud blower!

This recipe will work with any variety of tomato so now I am intrigued to see if it will work with some of the beautiful and colourful heirloom varieties we get at the local markets during the summer.  I've included a link to Martha's original recipe below, but have modified the ingredients and instructions in accordance with this morning's little project.

Oven-dried Tomatoes

2 pints mixed cherry and grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon sugar
Herbs, such as basil, thyme, oregano, or rosemary, to taste
Salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a pan with parchment or use a Silpat baking mat. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, on pan, spaced 1/2 to 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with sugar and herbs; season with salt and pepper.
Place in preheated oven and dry until juices have stopped running, edges are shriveled, and pieces have shrunken slightly, approximately 3 hours. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to 3 days, or frozen, for up to 6 weeks.

Read more at Marthastewart.com:

Oven-Dried Tomatoes - Martha Stewart Recipes

These amazing little gems have a wide-range of uses - put them on pizza, add them to a tomato sauce, purée them to make a roasted tomato "jam" to spread on crostini, or do as I did and put them on an open-faced sandwich.

My newest cheese love is Ossau-Iraty, which is a French sheep's milk cheese.  It is one of the most wonderful cheeses I have eaten and just begs for a glass of Bordeaux.  Since you can eat the rind on the O-R,  I am.  I have placed thin slices of O-R on a piece of beautiful Italian bread made by Glen this morning.  Topped it with some fresh thyme and my oven-dried cherry tomatoes.Served it with

Asparagus Leek Soup with Lemon and Dill 

Pure bliss!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful idea, Sandra. (And a useful one, considering what those tomatoes are costing at the moment.) I could see these having some great uses.

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete