Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Mom's "Special" Flank Steak

Ever since I was a small child I always loved my Mom's "special steak". We often had it for Sunday dinners in the summer, or on special occasions (hence the name). Years later, I still make Special Steak using my Mom's base marinade recipe, and my kids love it the same way I did when I was their age.

I do improvise a bit on the recipe now and add some "optional" ingredients depending on what other dishes I am serving with it. For an more Thai spin, I might add in a teaspoon or two of fish sauce, some lime juice and cilantro, and serve with rice and sauteed baby bok choy. For a more Italian spin, I'd use olive oil instead of grapeseed, and add some fresh rosemary and oregano served with roasted potatoes and rappini. You get the idea.... : -)

Flank steak is a great budget and meal stretcher. One steak, sliced thinly can generally translate into a great dinner for 4 with leftovers for steak salad or sandwhiches the next day.

My Mom's "Special" Flank Steak

1 flank steak (1.5-2 lbs.)
1/3 c grapeseed oil
1/3 c honey (I used an organic blueberry honey from a maker who sells at the St. Lawrence North Market)
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c rice wine vinegar
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 onion, sliced

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the marinade ingredients. 
  2. Prick flank steak all over with a fork. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag, or shallow glass dish (or place the plastic bag in the shallow glass dish ;-)) 
  3. Pour marinade over the steak, turning meat to coat thoroughly. Cover, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours and overnight if possible. Turn meat several times during marinading. 
  4. Preheat grill to medium-high heat. 
  5. Oil the grill grate. Place steak on the grill, and discard the marinade. Grill meat for 5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. 
  6. Let rest 5 minutes so juices re-absorb.  Slice meat thinly, always against the grain.
Continuing to try to add new vegetables to our dinner plates, I will be testing out a recipe from the latest issue of Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine.

Sauteed Radicchio with Honey and Balsamic Vinegar
Rinse 1 head radicchio, cored and torn into bite-sized pieces. Leave some water still clinging to the leaves. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add radicchio and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing until tender, about 4 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon honey and stir to combine. Serves 4.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for continuing the blog Sandra. I love your writing style...informative and entertaining. Looking forward to reading more.xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the sauteed radicchio received a thumbs up rating from 3 of 4 tasters. Only T-Rex was not impressed and decided just to eat all the remaining steak instead. However, I did throw some golden beets into the cast iron pan thinking of him, and he loved those. Amazingly the Teen didn't like them! Sometimes I think he was switched at birth.

    ReplyDelete