Saturday, December 4, 2010

Recipe Test: Thai Chili - Vegetarian Version and one for Carnies

Just to clarify...a carnie is a carnivore, not a "carnie" as in one who travels with carnivals.  I don't think I'd ever find myself cooking for THAT audience for some reason!?!   But you never know with me. :-)

When I first picked up my new copy of Clean Eating from the mailbox this recipe was on the cover, and it hooked me right away - looked beautiful and lush.   The original version in Clean Eating was vegetarian and called for bulgur but amazingly I couldn't find it in any of the supermarkets I went to yesterday or today, so I opted for ground turkey.  I think it would be good either way.

The only thing that surprised me about this recipe is that there is neither lime juice nor zest, and no call for fish sauce?  I don't think I've made a Thai recipe EVER that doesn't call for both of those ingredients, along with a few other staples like ginger?  Odd.  But in the end this tastes quite nice, looks pretty and will be a nice "main" type dish to round out my party dishes as it seems to double and triple very easily.  Once I find bulgur I'll have to try it that way too.

Thai Chili

1-2 tsp red curry paste (more if you want it - I wanted it)
1/2 cup uncooked bulgar or 500 grams lean ground turkey or chicken
1/2 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (make the cubes small)
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 cups cooked beans (I used half white kidney and half black beans)
1/2 can light coconut milk (ok...I ended up using the entire can)
2 jars tomato puree or passata
2 green onions, thinly sliced, white parts only
salt and pepper to taste

I will add:

2-4 kafir lime leaves
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
Zest and juice of one lime
1-2 tsp fish sauce (I prefer 3 Crab Brand from Vietnam as per my Thai cooking teacher Don)

Vegetarian Version:

Also use 1 carton vegetable stock

In a large pot, add curry paste and a bit of oil and cook slightly, adding a bit of stock to thin out.  Add remaining broth, bulgur, kafir limes, weet potato and bell pepper over medium heat and bring to a slow boil.  Cover tightly, reduce heat to medium low and cook for 10 minutes.  Add beans, coconut milk and tomato puree and cook for a further 10 minutes or so.  Stir in scallions, fish sauce and lime zest and juice.  Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately.

For meat based:

In a large pot, brown turkey or chicken breaking the meat up.  I find my trusty balloon whisk a great tool for doing this.  Once cooked add, curry paste, green pepper, sweet potato, kafir lime leaves,beans, tomato puree and coconut milk.  Cook on medium low for about half an hour or until the sauce turns a darker red.  Stir in scallions, fish sauce and lime zest and juice.  Sprinkle with cilantro, green onions and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment