Sunday, September 19, 2010

Challenge starts today

The purpose of this blog is to see if it is possible to cook from my pantry and freezer for 30 days.  This all started because I was looking for a can of pizza sauce today to make lunch for my kids for school tomorrow.  I hate the fact that there is a McDonalds on the corner of Bloor and Runnymede right by Adventurous Child's highschool so I want to send him cool but nutritious lunches that other grade 9s will envy.  I also have T-Rex child who likes vegetables and fish but would survive well in the world of the Flintsone's with brontosaurus ribs.  He is finally out of daycare where they used to provide a hot lunch, so it is down to us now.

When I opened the cupboard looking for the tiny can of pizza sauce I was overwhelmed with the amount of food in my pantry and decided it HAD to be organized.  Right then and there.  I could not believe what I had in there and how many of each.  Maybe I am expecting a big depression tomorrow (economically and globally not personally)...I don't know but right now I think I could personally feed many neighbours in the off chance of a disaster in west-Toronto.  And then there was the freezer. Correction - freezerS.  We have a chest freezer, a full sized fridge in the kitchen and slightly smaller one in the garage.  Both freezers are full also.  As is the upstairs fridge.  We are apparently condiment addicts also.

The Rules:

Please note these are subject to change in a small way as I work my way through the trials and tribulations of undertaking something like this on the spur of the moment.  The purchase of perishables will be permitted - milk, eggs, fruit and veg.  I will need some cheese and the occasional can of tomatoes since I realized I only have 1 of those giant ones from Costco to start.  I'll list what I buy as I go and promise not to view the purchase of a can of tomatoes as a total failure.  I hope I can help some of my friends start to use up that bag of dried lentils or black beans or that odd box of pearl couscous you bought with "intentions" but never got around to using.

Food used will be a combination of fresh cooking and the use of the odd pre-made dish I have in the freezer. For those of you who know me, you know I am not a fan of sodium rich, preservative packed pre-made foods and that I cook mostly from scratch, but in these days of running from work to tutor to tai kwon do to the gym blah blah blah, they become an occasional necessity.

1 comment:

  1. Shelley has guilted me into being hardcore. No purchases of ANY kind. I will endure as this is only for 30 days. And actually, I am seeing movement in my freezer. The pantry now has some white space and this blog is actually fun to write.

    ReplyDelete