Sunday, September 26, 2010

You can't beat beets

Here's a cool article on beets and an awesome sounding salad recipe ( alert - contains goat cheese). Maybe next weekend when I hit the market...
http://www.thatsfit.ca/2010/09/26/beet-salad-recipe/?icid=main|canada-toshiba|dl3|sec1_lnk3|172950

Roasted Beet Salad with Walnuts

4 medium red or golden beets (choose organic if possible), stems and leaves removed (don't discard)

1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 handfuls of arugula or spinach
2 ounces of goat cheese

Directions:

Wash and cut beets into bite sized pieces. Bake the beets in your oven at 375F for 45 minutes in a covered baking dish, or steam until fork tender. (Avoid boiling them, you will leach out all the minerals). Once cooked, cool slightly. Toss the beets in a salad bowl with the walnuts, olive oil, vinegar, black pepper and greens. Crumble goat cheese over top, just before serving. 

Serves 2. Enjoy!

Apparently the Rex likes roasted beets. I love roasted beets. The Omnivore has recollections of harvard beets from a can as a child so I think he remains suspicious of these little nutritional marvels. Most recipes I see say to cook beets in their skins then put on rubber gloves to rub off the skin, but I really like to wash and peel them before I roast them so they get really crispy and caramelized.

The other easy recipe my BFF Ann makes is roasted beets with a bit of cumin, lime juice, honey (or agave nectar) and cilantro. Luv luv luv.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget that mandarin orange slices (fresh or canned) are a great addition to a beet salad, as is feta cheese, which sadly, I can no longer use.

    Love this blog..giving me lots to think about. I'm going to finally try out the box of quinoa I bought after reading about it at the cottage this summer:)

    ReplyDelete