Saturday, November 6, 2010

Carrot and Ginger Soup with Indian Spices

 I had my second delivery of organic produce on Thursday.  Again the delivery box was full of produce from the United States!  Again, nothing against my friends south of the border, but I am starting to think that I'd rather buy something from a local farmer, organic or not, rather than have my broccoli shipped from California!

So in my box was another bag of carrots and some organic onions.  As I have said before, cold weather makes me think of soup, but it also makes me think of spices.  Some of my favourite flavours and smells are the ones associated with the spices used in Indian cooking.  

Usually I just make Carrot and Ginger Soup but today I thought I would take a slightly different twist on an old favourite and combine my need to use produce, with my cold weather hankering for soup with interesting spice combinations. Hence today's Carrot and Ginger Soup with Indian Spices.   

Spices play a very important role in Indian cuisine and were originally used in Indian cooking to not only for purposes of seasoning, but also to preserve food as refrigeration did not exist. I imagine also that the spices served to mask any unpleasant flavours or odours of "well aged" meats.  Also, many serve as the basis for home remedies and are used for medicinal purposes.

There are a couple of tips I have learned when it comes to using Indian spices that I will pass along.  First, whenever possible, use the seeds or whole spices and grind your own blends or masalas as they are called.  Second, for maximum flavour, toast the spices lightly in a neutral oil to release the flavours before use. However, in a pinch no one is going to die or lose an eye if you don't grind your own or toast them, so just do what you have time for - it is just cooking after all.  No need to be so serious.  Just to prove my point (if even only to mysel), I am just going to throw caution to the wind and toss all the ingredients into the slow cooker (except no oil will be needed) and put it on low while I enjoy a leisurely nap this afternoon.

Carrot and Ginger Soup with Indian Spices

2 teaspoon coriander seeds (or ground coriander)
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
2 tablespoons grapeseed or peanut oil (or other neutral oil - not olive oil)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder or paste (preferably Madras)
2 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger or ginger puree
1 onion, peeled and cut into chunks
1 bag (2 lbs) carrots, peeled, and cut into chunks (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
1 carton chicken broth or vegetable broth
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Plain yogurt and chopped cilantro (for garnish)
Note:  I found that the carrots weren't as sweet as I expected so I added 2 tbsp of agave nectar to take the edge off and add to the natural sugars that seemed to be missing from the carrots.)

I accidentally also added 1 tsp of pureed garlic, thinking that the jar I selected out of the fridge was ginger.  Duh!  I am sure it will be fine.

Option 1:

Toss all ingredients in a slow cooker, turn low for 3-4 hours and go have a nap.  When carrots cooked and are very tender, cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth.  Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.

Option 2 for the more industrious:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.  Add coriander and mustard seeds and toast until fragrant and the mustard seeds start to "pop" (about 2 minutes).  Grind coriander and mustard in a spice mill to a fine powder.  A mortar and pestle will also work but you might not get such a fine grind.  Alternatively, you can just use spices that are purchased already ground.

In a large pot, add carrots, onions, ginger, lime zest and all spices.  Add carton of broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.

Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt, fresh cilantro and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Turned out pretty darned good if I do say so myself. I think it will benefit from the addition of fresh cilantro and a bit of yogurt or plain sour cream when served. I'll squeeze the lime juice in just before we eat it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious.I like your tips in using spices.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this carrot widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about carrots, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete