Sunday, November 7, 2010

Guest Blog: Om's Homemade Pasta

When I was 22, my parents moved back north, and left their apartment for me, my sister, her roommate, and my future brother-in-law. Up to this point in my life, my cooking experience was basically limited to anything quick. Dinner time growing up was more about conversation (and with five kids, a lot of arguing), and food was just there to eat. Not that my Mom didn't put together a good meal, but we almost had a set weekly menu. It would be changed up, having chilli on Monday this week, and Thursday the week following, but hardly inspiring. And even though we lived on a farm for a number of years, with two acres of garden -which seemed twice as big when we had to weed it- veggies are hard to like when you boil all the flavour away. I only lived with my sister for another year, but I have to credit her for igniting a passion for not only enjoying food, but preparing it as well.

I always thought that I made a pretty good pasta sauce, but now when I look back, it was JUST passable. It was my Mom's recipe, and called for tomato sauce, ground beef, tomato paste, and garlic salt. Yes, I said garlic salt. I think later on, she sprung for some oregano, but only if it was on sale. It was shortly after my sister moved back in that she gave me my first lesson in making fresh pasta and sauce, and the importance in the ingredients used. She had the benefit of being able to bring home each weekend from her future in-laws, home made pasata. But of all the things she introduced me to, making pasta was by far the best.

When I moved in with a buddy of mine, my sister gave me a housewarming gift of a pasta maker. It was over 20 years ago, and I still have it, and it still works perfectly. This week, I was asked to make lasagna, which means bringing out the machine. Making pasta really is easy, but it takes time, and it makes a mess. All that you need is eggs, olive oil, flour, and counter space. Fortunately, we have a new table come island in our kitchen now that is a perfect work surface.

To make a good pasta, you need to get a feel for the texture and density of the dough. The only way to learn is to work with someone while they make it, or trial and error. I have never measured what is needed, outside of the number of eggs to start with. Obviously, the more pasta you require, the more eggs needed. We have 2 lasagna pans, one purchased recently when we were allowed to once again enter a Costco. Twenty dollars for an enamel coated cast iron pan, branded by Wolfgang Puck. An excellent deal we couldn't pass up. Even though this pan was slightly smaller than the one I already have, I started with my standard of 6 eggs. This allows extra if you have tears in the sheets, or if you just want to make enough for a lunch during the week.

Homemade Pasta:
Add six eggs to a large bowl
Beat mercilessly
Add small amounts of flour (of your choice), and stir in with a fork
Keep adding flour and stiring until the dough starts to crumble.
Remove from bowl, and knead for 10 minutes
Wrap in a clean dish towel and let rest for 10 minutes
Slice the dough into pieces about 1/2" thick
Adjust the pasta maker at the widest setting
Feed each slice through, fold in half, and feed it through 2 or 3 more times.
As you feed it, stretch gently, careful not to tear
Adjust the maker one setting and repeat above. I like to feed it through twice at each setting.
My maker has 7 settings. For most pasta's, 6 is what I find the best thickness, and perfect for lasagna noodles.

You can let the pasta dry to use later, or, my preference, use it immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Can I just come over and watch you two cook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have to do that sometime soon LOL. I'll see you on Dec. 14 for sure at the No Cookie-Cookie Exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's on the 11th for the no-no cookie exchange...We can bring Shelley to your place sometime:).

    Om, thanks for the pasta recipe. Although we received a pasta maker for a wedding gift (14 yrs ago) we haven't really used it. Now that we have our own mini-me, making pasta might be a good "family" activity. Really!. Lots of mess, and pasta at the end...what could be better.

    ReplyDelete