Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Southwestern Tortilla Soup with Chicken

Well it is official.  We had snow in Toronto on Sunday.  Now, it didn't snow much or snow for long, but snow is definitely snow, and that signals the beginning of serious soup season for me.  There is definitely something soothing and comforting about eating a bowl of hot soup on a cold day, especially on a Saturday or Sunday for lunch.  I admit I have a bit of a thing about soup as a main course for dinner, even with sandwiches, but I find that concept easier to digest (haHa!) than the whole breakfast for dinner thing.  That one I do not think I will ever truly understand.  Why would you want bacon, eggs and pancakes for dinner...that one just escapes me.  Anyway...tonight is soup for dinner.

Food historians seem to agree that the origin of the word "soup" comes from "sop" and relates to the concept of soaking, or sopping, up.   Soup is probably as old as the history of cooking itself and has evolved in both sedentary and nomadic cultures, rich and poor cultures, and is the meal of the healthy as well as the sick.  Soup = comfort.

I do love all kinds of soup...Minestrone is a family favourite, esp with T-Rex and the Teen.  I like Chinese Hot'n'sour Soup (one of the few ways I like tofu) and I make a really nice Asian inspired Carrot with Ginger.  I like fish chowders - both  New England and Boston style.  And I like cold soup in the summer, like Gazpacho from Spain or a Purred Cucumber Soup with Yogurt.  I even made a cold soup a few summers ago with watermelon.  I have yet to try making Borscht, but maybe that can be a project for another weekend..  And French Onion soup, Vichyssoise...oh and Boulibase....mmmm.  I haven`t made that one in a while either.  Basically what I am saying is that the combinations are endless, and well... I love soup.

So today`s soup is my quickie version of Southwestern Tortilla Soup with Chicken.  When I say quickie in this context what I mean is quick to put together with few ingredients.  This soup can be made on the stove top with equally good results, but I do like the concept of just putting a few ingredients in my slow cooker and walking away for several hours to come back to a wonderful lunch, or leaving for work and coming home to dinner ready made.

Southwestern Tortilla Soup with Chicken

1 large chicken breast (I put mine in frozen)
1 jar of your favourite salsa (I used Presidents Choice No-name Medium Salsa)
1 carton chicken or vegetable stock
1 can creamed corn (This is the secret ingredient, trust me!)
half a can of black beans or kidney beans
6-8 corn flour tortillas
Your choice of toppings:  avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.

Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except tortillas, in the slow cooker and stir.  Set to high if you want lunch within a few hours, or low for all day cooking.  That`s it.  If you have a can of green chiles that is a nice addition or even a chipotle.  As our kids were eating this, we went just as is.

Before serving, using a knife or scissors (a la Nigella) cut tortillas into long strips.  Toast under the broiler or in a toaster oven until crispy.

To serve, place a pile of tortilla strips in the bottom of a large soup bowl.  Ladle hot soup over top.  Sprinkle with your favourite toppings and serve.




6 comments:

  1. I suck at cooking so I will try this. sounds pretty easy.. I love soup but never ever make it. My kids only eat lipton chicken noodle. (My first 2 kids were food brats but the youngest loves food!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norma says: I'm going to make this tonight for dinner becauses it sounds so good and easy! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's wrong with breakfest for dinner ? Don't you like eggs ? Don't you like bacon ? Don't you like omelettes with chesse, salsa and bacon served with french stick toast ? Come on give it a chance !

    The soup looks good by the way.

    J;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting snow today, I am about an hour and half north of Toronto and it is definitely a soup day. Thanks for your recipe, sounds really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally tried this (60 servings) for lunch at school today. Kids loved it...so will serve it again. Thanks for the recipe

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!!! Jamie Olie would be proud....of both of us. Glad they liked it.

    ReplyDelete