Sunday, November 14, 2010

Recipe Test: Cousin Ann's Cheesy Artichoke Squares

I am always in search of vegetarian options for appetizers and this is a great one that my friend James's cousin Ann has made for us a few times.  Just for the sake of something different, I decided to swap out the 2 cups grated cheddar cheese the recipe called for, for an equal amount of swiss cheese.  Gruyere would be good too.  Or Gouda.  I know Parmesan is great with artichokes, but I have a friend who is highly allergic so it is not an option.  Otherwise the ingredients are as we've had previously, though I did modify the directions slightly.

I admit I have a hard time working through anyone's recipe without changing things slightly.  I am like the lawyers I work with who immediately pick up a red pen before they can start even reading a document and they just HAVE to change something.  Ok....I admit....I do the exact same thing.  Except it is a pencil - red pens are too grade school.  I can't review a marketing ad or memo without a pencil in my hand.  Guess the same thing applies to recipes.  In fact, now I am wondering how the addition of crisped proscuitto or pancetta might add to the recipe...hmmmm.....next time.  For now, vegetarian, garlic free and no parmesan or goat!!

What I also like about this recipe is that it is the kind of recipe it is easy to always have all the ingredients on had for, so you can just throw it together to take to someone's house following an impromptu invite or for make it quickly for unexpected guests, as it can be served hot or at room temperature.  To date, this dish  is extremely easy and is always popular at parties.  Cousin Ann is constantly asked for the recipe.


Artichoke Squares:

2 small jars marinated artichoke hearts (or 1 large jar),
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped (unless Ann Marie is coming over)
4 eggs well beaten
1/4 c dry bread crumbs (I used panko which I prefer to regular bread crumbs)
1/2 tsp salt
a couple of grinds of black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
2-3 drops hot sauce to taste (I used my beloved Marie Sharpe's from Belize)
2 cups grated cheese (cheddar, gruyere, swiss...all work well)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Spray the inside of a small lasagne sized pan (8x 11) with with non-stick spray.  Drain marinated artichokes, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.  Chop artichokes into small pieces.  Add reserved artichoke liquid to a heated skillet.  Add onions (and garlic if using) and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.  In a mixing bowl, beat eggs well, stir in onion/garlic mix, breadcrumbs, salt, oregano, hot sauce and pepper.  Add in half of cheese and all the chopped artichokes.  Pour mix into pan and spread out evenly.  Top with remaining cheese.  Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes.  Cool slightly and cut into squares.  Serve either hot or at room temperature.  Makes 24 squares.



2 comments:

  1. Hey Sandra,
    I love the changes !!

    Also seriously considering stealing some of your recipe ideas for your Christmas Open House!! Have fun.

    "Cousin" Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome on the 4th if you can hitch a ride with the Shaw-McKechnies!

    ReplyDelete