Saturday, October 9, 2010

A girl's gotta eat: Pork Tenderloin Stuffed with Fig and Blue Cheese

Amidst all the pre-Thanksgiving madness there is still the need to eat and use stuff from the freezer.  Today it is pork tenderloins.  I keep seeing figs in the stores right now - and I LOVE those with blue cheese - and remembered I had a jar of President's Choice Fig & Black Olive spread in the fridge.  So I took the pork tenderloins, butterflied them, applied about 2 heaping tablespoons of the spread to each.  Then I pitted and chopped about 10 oil cured black olives, dotting them along the flattened pork.  Then I added the most wonderful creamy blue cheese down the centre, rolled and tied the pork up and popped it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 25-30 min?  I'll check it as it goes to see that the desired temp of about 150 is reached.




For those of you out there who don't like blue cheese - and you know who I am speaking to - try it again!  It is the most wonderful cheese and there are so many varieties - creamy ones, dry ones, salty ones.  The variety is endless.  I guess if you don't like blue cheese you could substitute goat cheese or herbed boursin, but I don't think it will be the same.  Just learn to love the blue.

I also broke out a box of the pearled couscous.  I am not a fan it turns out.  The texture is not for me.   Too slippery.  I followed the package directions but also chopped up about 10 sun-dried tomatoes and added a jar of marinated artichokes for variety.  Meh.  However the kids seems to like it and the flavour so that is ok.  I'll settle for salad greens with my pork.  I got some lovely fresh baby arugula at the market today, so I'll make a balsamic vinaigrette for that and maybe toss in some roasted peppers or rasberries and slivered almonds, if the Teen hasn't eaten them all.  He is eating EVERYTHING lately.  AGAIN!  Until tomorrow.....off to open up a nice rosé to enjoy with dinner and the DVD of Bowie Live in Santa Monica.  Happy Saturday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment