Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pearled Couscous

When I was in the U.S. on the Labour Day weekend, we went into Wegmans and I bought a few groceries that we can't get in Canada. One thing I picked up was a couple of boxes of flavoured pearled couscous. The grains are bigger and "meatier" than the regular kind of couscous that you get in the grocery store. It also takes longer to cook than regular couscous - 20 min. vs. 5 min. More or less the same as rice. I am determined to incorporate one of my boxes of pearled couscous into this weeks dinner menu. The kinds I got were roasted garlic and basil & herb. This is what I plan to do to the box to make it a bit more interesting:

Pearled Couscous with Spinach and Lemon

1 pkg. Near East Pearled Couscous with Roasted Garlic
1 3/4 c water or stock
1 box washed baby spinach
juice of a lemon, maybe some zest
1/2 bunch of parsley or mint (whatever we have left over)

Basically, I'll cook the couscous according to the package directions and then toss in the spinach until it wilts. Squeeze in the lemon juice and toss in the herbs. The other thing you could add is chickpeas, except only the kids and I like them.


No comments:

Post a Comment