Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Olive & Lemon Crostini Converted

We were at our good friend's place on the weekend and James made his "signature" interpreted appetizer Olive & Lemon.  It is one of my favourites, and so simple.  I looked in the fridge tonight and I had a fennel bulb, some lemons and I always have black olives - oil cured not brined.  So I decided to make O&L for a side dish or topping for some chicken I marinated in herbs and some steamed broccoli and rice.  Hmmm.  I am not getting anywhere with the couscous thing am I?

I am sure James will have additions or amendments to my interpretation of his interpretation but here is what I do to make the most wonderful appetizer or...side dish.

Ingredients:

1 bulb fennel, cut in half, cored and thinly sliced - reserve some of the fronds for the end
1 lemon, zested - perhaps 2 if you like it really lemony - and sliced very thinly
10-12 or more oil cured kalamata olives, squished and pitted
a couple of tablespoons of olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a small to medium fry pan.  When hot, add in the fennel and lemon and saute over medium heat, stirring frequently for 5-10 min until it becomes caramalized.  Add in black olives and lemon zest and combine.  You can serve now as a side dish or if you want it as an appetizer, add in a bit more lemon juice and a couple of glugs more of olive oil.  Serve on a platter with crispy slices of bread.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Foodiemom. One thing missing from the recipe is onion thinly sliced. You don't need much but it adds to the flavour nicely.

    ReplyDelete