Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday Morning Black Bean Soup in the Slow Cooker.

Pulled out the slow cooker this morning while my enlgish muffin was a-toasing (ahhh....multi-tasking already) and looked in the cupboard and fridge to see what needed to be used up.  I had blackbeans that I cooked WAY too much of earlier in the week, an opened 1.3L jar of really good pico de gallo salsa that we got a few weeks ago at food hoarder mecca (Costco) and a pantry of stuff itching to be used.

Quick Slow (Cooker) Black Bean Soup:

2-3 cups left over black beans (or open a can or two if you must)
500 ml salsa
1 boullion cube  and 2 c water or 2 c chicken stock from a can or carton you must use up
left over chicken or pork (pork in our case from the roast) - optional
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
2-3 tsp Herdedz chipotle sauce (or a chipotle or 2 depending on your love for heat)
4 dashes liquid smoke (optional)

Put everything in your slow cooker and stir.   Set to low. Have a shower, get dressed, go out and do stuff.  Let cook for a good 3-4 hrs minimum to let the flavours meld.  Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.  Put some in a blender and puree for a thicker soup or puree it all if you want to minimize the appearance of black beans.  

I have learned that the T-Rex seems to not like black beans?  What is that about?  What did they ever do to him? No clue.  So he might eat this if he can't see black beans....I know...in black bean soup.  He he.

We'll probably top with sour cream, chopped avocado and fresh cilantro to serve.  Yummy!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I've hidden cheese in mac & cheese to get my non cheese eater to eat it, so I can see hiding the black beans in black bean soup. I have a bag of dried black beans in my cupboard, and a ham bone (don't ask), so I think I'll use your recipe tomorrow. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete