Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Persimmon Predicament and Vegetarian Kimchi


As I said in my earlier posting, I received two persimmons in my organics delivery box.  Now, I am pretty well versed in terms of international fruits. And not just the typical exotics like mangos and papayas.



I’ve chowed down on Mangosteens, and I have even peeled and eaten a rambutan.






I’ve had Durian from Thailand (it gives you god awful breath (and other odours!) but tastes like custard).

But I have never eaten a persimmon.

Then, yesterday my friend from work Judy borrowed my transit pass, as she was headed to China Town at lunch to buy produce and offered if I needed anything picked up while she was there.  I said no but when I came back from my meeting yesterday there were – yes – 2 persimmons sitting on my keyboard as a “thanks”.  Very sweet of her – she is a darling – but now my persimmon predicament had doubled.

Apparently the type of persimmons I have are Fuyu (no.. I wasn’t swearing at you).  They looking kind of like a light orange, squat tomato.  This variety is supposed to be eaten crisp, like an apple.  The other type of persimmon is the Hachiya (And no, I didn’t sneeze either) which are larger, more acorn shaped and darker orange.  These should be soft to the touch and juicy inside when eaten.

So if you just want to eat a Fuyu, all you do is wash it thoroughly, remove the leaves from the top, cut it open and core (like an apple or pear), slice and serve.  However an under-ripe persimmon of either variety will be bitter to taste and will suck the moisture out of your mouth, leaving you rather looking like a cat’s a**.  Or so I am told.

I have decided to eat the persimmons on my desk like a fruit – once Judy tells me they are ready to eat – and the others I am going to try to turn into a vegetarian kimchi I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com and it received great reviews, so I will give it a shot.  I don’t seen any changes necessary at this point as I have all ingredients on hand except the Napa but that is easily acquired.  Fingers crossed and review to come on the weekend as it must ferment for 3 days before serving!

Vegetarian Kimchi

1 head Napa cabbage
1/4 cup salt, divided
6 cloves garlic
1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
1 small white onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons water
3 green onions, minced
cayenne pepper to taste
1 ripe persimmon, chopped
1 small radish, shredded
1 cucumber, diced (optional)

Directions:

1. Cube the cabbage and rinse well. Put the cabbage in a bowl and sprinkle liberally with salt, tossing to mix. Set aside for 1 hour.

2. Mix more salt into the cabbage and set aside for another hour. Wash and drain the cabbage. Combine the garlic, ginger, and onion in a blender with the water. Blend on high speed until smooth.

3. Stir together the rinsed drained cabbage, garlic-ginger mixture, minced green onions, cayenne pepper, persimmon, radish, and cucumber and mix well. Transfer the mixture into airtight containers, and refrigerate for 3 days before serving.



5 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting (and good). Looking forward to hearing how it tastex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My korean friends tell me that when your kimchi is "brewing" it will stink to high heaven and the containers you store it in will never smell the same again.

    LOVE the blog!!

    What did you do with the spiky thing pictured at the top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just peeled the rambutan and ate it. Tasty! I've heard the same thing about "brewing" kimchi. When my brother-in-law was working in Korea the housekeeper used to make it in ceramic pots and put it on the balcony, so I think that is what I will do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I've never worked with persimmons before, but now you've got me curious about them. Thanks for a great post.

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. A busy week prevented me from making the kimchi, but it will be on my Sunday project list, along with my Halloween dinner. I will say that Judy brought in a cut and peeled persimmon to my office on Friday and all I can say is....meh. Not really that interesting and kind of slimy. I will see how the kimchi brews....

    ReplyDelete