Saturday, October 23, 2010

Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Blue Cheese

I work with the most wonderful women.  They are fun, extremely interesting and intelligent.  Many of them have great shoes.  One in particular has particularly wonderful shoe collection (those teal blue patent pumps rock sista!) and a fantastic shoe calendar on her desk that I enjoy stopping by to view daily so we can dish and crit the shoe or boot de jour.  That's my friend Judith - she fits in all the above categories, AND she is a creative home chef.


The below recipe stems from a discussion we had a while back in the kitchen at work about roasting cauliflower and making it into soup with blue cheese!  It also seems to help me out with the fact that I have 2 heads of cauliflower and a big onion sitting in my fridge and a half wheel of Danish Blue (a staple for me).


Roasted Cauliflower and Blue Cheese Soup


1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium sized head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup milk (I used 1%), cream or half and half
1/3 cup crumbled Danish Blue cheese or the blue of your choice
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
1/8 teaspoon salt
 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Toss cauliflower florets and quartered onion in 1 tsp. olive oil to coat.  Place in oven and roast for approximately 30 minutes, or until florets are starting to soften and have some colour.  Place onion and cauliflower in a slow cooker, and set to low.  If you don't have a slow cooker you can definitely do this on the stove top, b
ut I am going out soon, so I want to let this go while I am out.  Add broth and simmer, covered, until cauliflower is very tender, about 25 minutes.

Purée cauliflower mixture in batches in a blender until very smooth, adding milk a bit at a time until desired thickness is reached.  Please use caution when blending hot liquids.  I suggest removing the stopper on the blender lid and covering it with a tea towel.  Return soup to a clean medium sized sauce pan and warm over low heat.  
 Add blue cheese, pepper and salt and cook over low heat, whisking, until Stilton is melted and soup is smooth, about 1 minute.


1 comment:

  1. Well the soup tastes great and will be lunch tomorrow. Had I REALLY been thinking I might have put in the 2 remaining pears from my organic food box delivery. Pears and blue cheese are another classic combination and might have added an interesting undertone to the soup. Oh well...next time. As long as there remains a head of cauliflower in the universe, so remains the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete