Friday, October 8, 2010

Yes! It is Friday

Successful trip to the market wherein the fresh turkey was acquired from Whitehouse.  13 lbs.  Right in the range I requested.  And I admit I ordered a pound of the their cranberry cashew stuffing - really good - forgetting that my mom was bringing her sausage meat stuffing.  I don't know how meat that comes from a tube with so few additions can taste so good, but it does.  And amazingly, it actually tastes better the next day.  Cold. Then again, my mom serves everything cold.  Correction - room temperature.  I don't know how often we go there and the roast was cooked and sliced earlier in the day and is sitting on a plate grey and dry, "ready" for dinner.  I think that is what happens when you live through a world war and food rationing.  Everything is "well" cooked and made in advance so when "the man" came home, he could eat right away.

That is why I always suggest doing something on the BBQ when we go there for dinner.  I like hot food!  What is wrong with that?!?!  However, I will admit, nothing is better than left-over turkey, mayo, cranberry and my mom's stuffing - cold - on fresh sunflower seed bread.  God...I am jonesing already.

Back to today....

We went to Om's parent's for dinner a few weeks ago before they do their annual snowbird migration to Florida for the winter.  We were in charge of meat and potatoes for 10.  Looking at the price of individual steaks we decided for once to buy an entire strip loin, uncut and do the work ourselves.  Amazing.  9 individual steaks would have cost about $90 and we got the entire loin for the same price.  Cut it, cooked it and served for dinner with left overs for the parents and we took home and vac-sealed about 10 individual steaks.  Not big, but thick - just how I like it (I'll throw in a "That's what she said!" here to save anyone the bother later).  :-)

That paired with rappinni, steam-fried (is that a technique or am I using a made up term?) in garlic and sweet potatoes is dinner tonight.  Delish.  Enjoyed with a 2008 Don Nicarnor Malbec from Argentina.  Sounds like a decent Friday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment