Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Rainy Days and Tuesdays...

Some times living in Toronto just plain sucks.  Today was one of those days.  Crap weather.  Crap transit system.  Crappy things happening to me and to friends.  Just crap, crap, crap.  Makes me think of using up some of the bottles of alcohol that are sitting in the cupboard over my pantry!  Just kidding.  Sort of  ;-)

So tonight we are using up some salmon fillets from food hoarder's mecca that I came across in the freezer.  I am going to take a few tablespoons of chinese chili sauce, combine that with few tablespoons of maple syrup and then a squeeze of lemon juice.  I'll mix it up, brush it on the salmon and then put them under the broiler.  I'll also toss some asparagus in a bit of oil and throw that in the oven also.  400 degrees for probably 20 min should do both.  Roasted asparagus is one of my favourite things.

Also forgot I bought this bag of a new product called "Garden Fresh Cauliflower Mash".  We had it once before and I love it.  I am also a fan of just pureed cauliflower - saw the recipe in some Southbeach Diet cookbook ages ago and it stuck with me.  Basically you steam whatever cauliflower you have until very tender.  Let it cool for a minute or two then put it in the food processor and hit "whir".  I then add in a small amount of milk, a small knob of butter, salt and pepper and let it go for about 5 minutes until it is really whipped and smooth.  I find it takes a while but it really does get the taste and texture of mashed potatoes.  But I digress...

This new product hides.....errr....combines cauliflower with a small amount of mashed potatoes and some herbs so you are incorporating a vegetable along with a starch.  Not sure if it would work for those trying to get non-vegetable eating children to eat them or not.  Might work for some, but highly unlikely for a boy named Alex who I know.... (yes, you Alex!)

No comments:

Post a Comment