Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Lazy Sunday and Butternut Squash Risotto

Well I must admit I feel like I let myself down a bit in the challenge last week.  Only in the sense that I didn't make some of the things I wanted to and use up some of the cans I had planned on.  But I guess that is life - we can plan all we like but sometimes life just makes decisions for you by virtue of throwing unexpected events in your path.  But it is a new week so I'll try again.  Still haven't bought anything for the pantry or freezer.

Yesterday we pulled out a prime rib roast that had been in the freezer since - gasp - December 28, 2009!  How did that happen?  Anyway, clearly that is on the dinner menu for tonight now.  Most likely we will rub it down with a little olive oil, salt and some rosemary and thyme left from last week, which I dried in the toaster oven.  Worked quite well amazingly.

I've decided that the chill in the air here calls for a heart warming dish.  I am also on a mission to convert the Omnivore to a squash eater.  He says he will try the butternut squash risotto that I am going to make for a side courtesy of Cooking Light once again.  Next will be brussel sprouts!  Fingers crossed.

Butternut Squash Risotto

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup)


Ingredients


  • 2  cups  water, divided
  • 2  (14 1/4-ounce) cans low-salt beef broth
  • 2  teaspoons  olive oil
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped yellow onion
  • 3  cups  (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2  cups  Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
  • 1/2  cup  (2 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
  • 3  tablespoons  unsalted butter
  • 2  tablespoons  finely chopped fresh parsley


Preparation


Bring 1 1/2 cups water and broth to a simmer in a large saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 8 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add 1/2 cup water, squash, salt, and pepper; cook 10 minutes or until squash is tender and water has almost evaporated. Add rice; stir until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture; cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 30 minutes total). Stir in cheese, butter, and parsley. Serve immediately.


4 comments:

  1. Suddenly realized this is the first risotto recipe I have ever made that does not call for wine. Hmmm. I am drinking red right now as I cook (those who know me well know I enjoy a glass of wine while cooking) but I don't think that will work in this one. I don't feel like opening a white for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Om made a really nice jus to go with the prime rib. Basically 1.5 cups red wine, 2.5 cups beef broth, 7 sprigs of thyme, 4 "pinches" rosemary apparently, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce to half liquid over medium heat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sold on the butternut squash risotto. One of the best risotto's I have eaten. I might even try it in another recipe. Maybe it had something to do with the way it was stirred.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The roast was done perfectly, medium rare. The only problem was the garlic slices. Because they were in the middle, they didn't cook long enough, and were crunchy and strong. If you want to cook your roast medium rare, and why would you have it any other way, maybe roasting the garlic first would be better.

    ReplyDelete