Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday's Enchilada Casserole

Trying to get a bit of a leg up on the week ahead - last week was a whopper - I decided to make the most of the remaining left-over turkey from Thanksgiving by making Enchilada Casserole.  The below recipe is my interpretation of a conglomeration of numerous recipes inside my head, things I've tried and like and what appeals to my kids.This recipe did manage to use up a number of cans from the pantry (refried beans, black beans and enchilada sauce) and the remaining turkey.

If you do not have a large amount of turkey to use up, you can substitute about 1 lb ground beef, chicken or vegetarian ground round (like Yves).  I find the refreid beans on their own are a bit too "cloying" as my mother would say.

















1 left-over turkey breast, cubed (about 10-12 oz meat)
18 corn flour tortillas, cut in halves or quarters (makes it easier to fit into the pan)
1 can enchilada sauce (I like La Victoria)
1 can refried beans
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 ripe avocados, sliced
2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1 cup shredded cheese (Tex Mex style is good)
Cooking spray, such as Pam

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, combine turkey meat, refried beans, black beans, cilantro, scallions, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.

Spray the inside of a 9 by 13-inch pan with cooking spray. Pour 1 cup enchilada sauce into a wide bowl or pie plate. Prepare the tortillas by lightly dipping them in the enchilada sauce, then layer 4-5 tortillas on bottom of the pan. Top the tortillas with about 1/2 of the turkey-bean mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place 4-5 more tortillas on top and sprinkle with half the tomato and half the avocado. Repeat the turkey-bean layer, and another layer of tomato and avocado, ending with a final layer of tortillas. Pour 1 cup enchilada sauce over top of last layer and sprinkle with cheese.  Bake until casserole is heated through and bubbling at edges, about 1 hr. 

Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.  Cut into slices and serve with salsa verde and a green salad.

God...parent teacher interviews tomorrow.  Ugh. NOT looking forward to that.  And they have them in the school cafeteria? So it seems that we have to line up for our 5 minutes with each teacher.  Not sure how constructive that will be but given that fact that hardly anyone seems to show up at schools these days, we might be done by 6:30.

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, and I'm glad I did! I love enchiladas, and making good use of leftovers. This looks delicious! I'm looking forward to more.

    Ben
    http://kissthecook-ben.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben! I'll come over and check yours out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds Super Sandra !

    Had a quick look at Ben's site. Interesting.

    J ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pretty sure that Ann and I made this one time at your place for dinner except with ground beef. I think you and the fellows went toboganing and we staying back and cooked and...errrr...drank wine. Extremely unusual ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that explains why it sounded yummy, I'd already had it once. We must do that again this winter, don't ya think ?

    J;-)

    ReplyDelete